Second cat despite the coronavirus?
Hello, a few weeks ago I took in a cat from the animal shelter. I knew from the start that she was carrying the coronavirus. Nevertheless, I was assured that I therefore do not have to keep it as an indoor cat and that I can allow it to move freely. Around 80% of cats are said to carry this virus with them.
Since I have observed from the beginning that she seeks contact with other cats very intensively, the thought occurred to me to bring another cat to me (sometime in a few months).
Now my question, is it negligent to bring a second cat to me? I think I would do my current cat a huge favor by doing this, but am I doing the other cat a favor by putting it at risk of contagion? In addition, it does not necessarily have to be infected, but the risk is there (of course I can also carry the virus into the house every day with my shoes)
What do you think of that? Thank you in advance for your advice!
depends on. is the cat a coronavirus shedder (i.e. six months after confirmed contact with corona was a 3-day collection sample examined for corona) or does it only have a coronavirus animal? The former would be a reason to think carefully about the purchase and possibly to look specifically for a cat that is also a permanent elimination. many many toilets and cleaning them regularly as corona is transmitted through the faeces. the latter have almost 100% of all animal shelter cats, good luck finding one that has no titer. the only one of my male cats who have ever had a coronatiter had one. did not harm him ^^
corona itself is completely harmless. this is a light gastrointestinal virus. and 60 to 80% of all cats have or had corona (the titer only says btw that antibodies are there, not necessarily that the virus itself is there). especially in areas with high cat density and high infection pressure such as animal shelters it is naturally easy to spread. It only becomes dangerous when the corona mutates, unfortunately that is the cat’s death sentence within a few weeks. because then fip arises. however, the mutated viruses do not leave the cat.
You write such a junk. I quote: “A few weeks ago I took in a cat from the animal shelter. I knew from the start that it was carrying the coronavirus.” Answer: It has only been known for a few days that cats are infected with Corona Covid 19 can.
To do this, the poor creatures were massively injected with corona viruses in their noses. It is completely unclear whether it is transferable from humans to cats. What you mean is probably the “feline immune deficiency”, as far as I know it is also a virus from the corona group but not Covid 19.
It’s best to ask your vet about this story, as far as I know there is even a vaccine.
You already know that the question was asked 7 years ago ?
Before you spray your poison here:
The question was asked 8 years ago. Covid-19 did not exist then, but corona viruses did. Coronaviruses have always existed and were discovered in the 1960s. Since they are harmless, they have not been elaborated on. Prof.
Sutter from LMU Munich has been researching coronaviruses for 8 years.
Read and inform before attacking people for no reason.
Who really writes rubbish here is YOU.
Ask your vet what they think about it. But I would bring a second cat, because as long as the immune system doesn’t get too weak, the disease shouldn’t break out either.
You cannot say whether your cat is still shedding the virus. In the animal shelter she was probably tested for antibodies, that is, her “FIP titer” was measured, as it is always wrongly called (the concentration of the antibodies is measured, not that of the virus). I consider it very unlikely that a PCR test was carried out to determine whether the cat excretes viruses (faeces samples over 3 days, etc., I do not think that the animal shelter makes this effort).
Specifically, this means: your cat has had contact with the coronavirus. That’s why your body made antibodies.
As a precaution, you could now have it tested to see whether it excretes viruses and also have the planned newcomer subjected to the antibody test in advance. If the “newbie” has not yet had any contact with coronaviruses (i.e. has not yet formed any antibodies), then it would be worth considering NOT to admit him.
But if he should also come from the animal shelter, you can almost forget that, you will hardly find a kitty in the animal shelter without Corona contact.
Btw. Don’t wait a few months for your cat to claim your apartment as their territory, but rather get a second one right away. Even if your kitty is very socially acceptable, after several months she will initially regard another cat as an intruder into the area. So if you have planned the increase anyway, save yourself all the stress and do it right away;)